Stories to Light the Night
A Grief and Loss Collection for Children, Families, and Communities
Foreword by Alida Gersie
23rd April 2021
- ISBN 9781912480272
- Language English
- Pages 226 pp.
- Size 6" x 9"
- Unique, comprehensive collection of 94 imaginatively crafted stories for sharing with children, families and communities at times of grieving or loss
- Using story therapy to help shine a light in the darkness of life’s challenges
- Stories for loss of a loved one, loss of family connection, loss of place, loss of pets and loss of health and wellbeing—some include an activity as an extension to the therapeutic process
- Stories for eco-grief and eco-loss, helping to encourage “active hope”
- An eclectic selection from cultures and countries across the globe
This book offers story medicine for children, families, and communities during times of grieving, loss, and separation. Stories and words have healing potential. They can strengthen us, help to reframe things, and help make meaning.
Included are stories for the loss of a loved one—a death in the family; loss of family connection—separation, divorce, adoption, foster children; loss of a pet; separation from home, country, or place; and loss of health and wellbeing.
The last section includes tales for the loss of nature and ecocide—eco-grief and eco-anxiety—and stories on cycles of life and change.
In addition to numerous original stories from Susan Perrow, the book includes stories from various countries and cultures by writers from diverse professions and backgrounds.
Each story includes a description of who the story was written for, the age group, and the situation. Using the power of metaphor and imaginative story journeys, combined with the sensitive art of ‘listening’, the stories in the collection offer a light in the night.
“Susan Perrow is a name to know and a person to experience. I really never saw a storyteller connect so much to her stories. Moved and touched.” —Sherin Mathews, storyteller and psychologist, Mumbai
“As the organizer of a 2-day Therapeutic Storytelling workshop (Feb. 2019) I was thrilled with the outcome. Susan has an easy manner of delivery, many inspiring tales to tell, and is passionate about her techniques for therapeutic story writing. The participants were totally supported to produce some amazing stories.” —Sue Russell, Communities for Children Coordinator, Child Care Services Taree, and District Inc. NSW, Australia
“Susan's books have made a huge impact on my classroom life and way of thinking about children AND adults who are struggling. Thank you!” —Kathy Fraser, teacher, Redding, California
“Susan Perrow’s message is beautiful and powerful in its simplicity. Tell children stories and they will listen to the wisdom these stories have to offer. What more gentle and effective way to reach ‘our’ children can we as parents and professionals ask for. This is essential learning for parents and all those who find themselves responsible for the case and development of children.” —Christina Crawford, educational psychologist, Ireland
“Susan is obviously very gifted at what she does and has helped bring healing story magic to many, many people across the world.” —Chris Holland, environmentalist and author, Forest School Handbook, I Love My World
C O N T E N T S:
Foreword by Alida Gersie
Introduction: The Healing Power of Words and Stories
1. Therapeutic Stories: Process and Experience
2. Loss of a loved one
3. Loss of place
4. Loss of family connection.
5. Loss of a pet
6. Loss of health and well-being
7. Loss of trust, cooperation, control, balance, and respect
8. Environmental grief and loss
9. Cycles of life and change
10. References and Resources, Patterns, and Templates