Gertraud Goodwin was born in Germany in 1951. In her first career, she worked as an surgery nurse at the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh. Her sculpture training at the Alanus-Kunsthochschule near Bonn (1976–1979) was followed by training in sculpture therapy. In 1982, she moved to England, where she taught at the Tobias School of Art in East Grinstead and at Emerson College, Forest Row, as well as working with graphics. In 1987 she started to teach sculpture and graphics in her own studio. Gertraud Goodwin has exhibited in galleries in London, Brighton, Italy, Germany, and Switzerland.