Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Edition 4 Revised
Renewal and Preservation of Soil Fertility
5th January 2021
- ISBN 9781938685293
- Language English
- Pages 228 pp.
- Size 6" x 9"
"Every agricultural enterprise is a self-contained, biological unit." —Ehrenfried Pfeiffer
There have been numerous developments and advancements in biodynamic agricultural methods since Ehrenfried Pfeiffer introduced North Americans to the foundational principles and practices of biodynamics, the basics of which continue to be used today. Thus, although Biodynamic Farming and Gardening was first published in 1938, it remains a foundational text for anyone who is or plans to become a serious biodynamic farmer or gardener.
In this volume, Pfeiffer lays out the essential practices for successfully operating a biodynamic farm, including the principles behind each technique and practice. He backs up these methods with scientific research and data, as well as his own experience as a farmer and researcher, describing what works and what doesn’t. Pfeiffer covers soil qualities, making compost, crop rotation, best planting practices, using biodynamic preparations and sprays, and much more—all with the goal of growing the highest-quality foods by using sustainable methods and working with nature and caring for the earth.
This detailed book is an indispensable guide for both experienced, beginning, and prospective biodynamic farmers and gardeners.
C O N T E N T S:
1. The Farmer, Yesterday and Today
2. The Situation of Agriculture
3. The Farm and Its Broader Connections
4. Soil as a Living Organism: The “Load Limit” in Agriculture
5. Manure and Compost Treatment
6. Maintaining Living Soil: Cultivation and Organic Fertilization
7. How a Conventional Farm Becomes a Biodynamic Farm
9. Market Gardening
10. The Dynamic Activity of Plant Life
11. Scientific Tests
12. Health Effects of Fertilizing
13. Practical Results of the Biodynamic Method
14. Human Responsibility
Books in English by Ehrenfried E. Pfeiffer