Biodynamic Preparations around the World
Insightful Case Studies from Six Continents
Biodynamic agriculture originated in central Europe but is now practiced in farms, vineyards, and gardens around the world. At the heart of the biodynamic approach are the eight preparations—horn manure, horn silica, yarrow, chamomile, nettle, oak bark, dandelion, and valerian—all of which are often produced by local biodynamic practitioners using well-established recipes. However, as the biodynamic approach expands beyond its European birthplace, its methods have increasingly been adapted to meet the needs and challenges of various climates, fauna, seasons, and regulations in the many different regions around the globe.
This fascinating book presents the results of a unique study, carried out by the Agricultural Section at the Goetheanum, Switzerland, into how biodynamic preparations are used in fifteen countries, including Egypt, Brazil, New Zealand, India, and countries across Europe. These detailed case studies explore how the preparations are modified to suit their locations, as well as offering insight into the work of each practitioner and how their understanding has evolved through the years.
Contributors include Ueli Hurter, Dr. R. Ingold, Dr. M. Kolar, J. Schönfelder, Dr. A. Sedlmayr, and A. van Leewen.
This book is a valuable reference into the production and application of the preparations around the world and an inspiring endorsement of how biodynamic principles hold true in such varied environments.
C O N T E N T S:
Preface by Wolfgang Stränz
Introduction by Ueli Hurter & Dr. Uli Johannes König
1. Andreas Würsch: Sagensitz Farm, Switzerland
2. Christoph Willer: Pretschen Farming Estate, Germany
3. The NRW Group, Germany
4. Pierre and Vincent Masson: Les Crêts Farm, France
5. Antoine Fernex: Truttenhausen Farm, France
6. Harald and Sonja Speer: Uppmälby Farm, Sweden
7. The Zealand Group, Netherlands
8. Carlo Noro: Labicao Farm, Italy
9. Angela Hofmann: Sekem Initiative, Egypt
10. Andrea D’Angelo: Bairro Demetria Settlement, Brazil
11. João Volkman: Capão Alto das Criúvas Farm, Brazil
12. Devon Strong: Four Eagles Farm, USA
13. Chris Hull: Hohepa Homes Community, New Zealand
14. Colin Ross and Wendy Tillman: Seresin Estate, New Zealand
15. Binita Shah: Supa Biotech (P) Ltd., India