May Human Beings Hear It!
The Mystery of the Christmas Conference
Translated by Maria St. Goar
Temple Lodge Publishing
2nd May 2014
- ISBN 9781906999612
- Language English
- Pages 936 pp.
- Size 6.125" x 9.25"
“It depends on the human being whether one merely conceives of Anthroposophy or whether one experiences it.” — Rudolf Steiner
During the Christmas period of 1923–24, Rudolf Steiner reestablished the Anthroposophical Society at its headquarters in Dornach, Switzerland. This important event, which has come to be known as the “Christmas Conference,” can be studied on many levels, and its many mysteries have been central to Sergei O. Prokofieff's anthroposophic research over the years. His beginning point has been an enduring question: What did Rudolf Steiner mean when he called the Christmas Conference the “start of a World Turning point of Time”? In this far-reaching work, the author—working from several different viewpoints—guides the reader toward an answer.
Prokofieff suggests that the impulse of the Christmas Conference can be reenlivened today only through conscious action by individuals to experience its spiritual essence. Rather than offering dogmatic conclusions, he opens up paths of approaching this goal by throwing light on different aspects of the Conference and what lies at its heart: the Foundation Stone and its meditation. In particular, Prokofieff explores three key perspectives: the connection of the Christmas Conference to humanity’s evolution; the inner relationship of each individual anthroposophist to the Christmas Conference; and the significance of the Conference to Rudolf Steiner himself.
Although this is major work of some length, the individual chapters of May Human Beings Hear It! are complete in themselves, and can therefore be studied independently of each other.
C O N T E N T S:
1. Rudolf Steiner’s Course of Life in the Light of the Christmas Conference
2. The Mystery Act of the Foundation Stone Laying on December 25, 1923
3. The Rhythms of the Christmas Conference
4. The Foundation Stone Meditation in Eurythmy
5. The Esoteric Archetype of the Original Council
6. The Anthroposophical Society as the Temple of the New Mysteries
7. The Philosophy of Freedom and the Christmas Conference
8. Rudolf Steiner and the Karma of the Anthroposophical Society
9. The Foundation Stone Meditation, Karma, and Resurrection
Postscript: Rudolf Steiner: The Text of the Laying of the Foundation Stone
1. On the origin of the Book Christianity as Mystical Fact
2. On the Question of the “Constitution” of the Anthroposophical Society
3. Comments by Members of the Original Executive Council on the Christmas Conference
4. Friedrich Schiller, Kaspar Hauser, Rudolf Steiner
5. The Tragedy of January 1, 1924
6. The Apocalyptic Seals and the Rhythms of the Christmas Conference
7. The Reverse Cultus and the Nature of the Foundation Stone
8. The Spiritual and Sacramental Communion
9. The Christmas Conference and the School of Spiritual Science
10. The Christmas Conference and Its Opponents